Capital: Nuku’alofa Land area: 749 km² Region: Polynesia
Tonga comprises of 169 islands spread out across approximately 800 kilometres from north to south. It is surrounded by Fiji and Wallis and Futuna to the northwest, Samoa to the northeast, Niue to the east and New Caledonia and Vanuatu farther to the west.
News & Publications
- .statAbout PICTsThis table provides a series of non-statistical information about Pacific Islands Countries and Territories (PICTs).
- .statOverseas visitor arrivalsOverseas visitors include sea and air arrivals. It includes excursionists/same-day-visitors i.e. visitors from the cruise ship as well. [...]
- .statBalance of paymentsBalance of payments data from IMF’s Balance of Payment analytical presentation per country for Pacific Island Countries and Territories.
- .statCOVID-19 cases in Pacific Island Countries and TerritoriesStatistics from SPC's Public Health Division (PHD) on the number of cases of COVID-19 and the number of deaths attributed to COVID-19 in Pacific Island [...]
- .statCoastal population (1, 5 and 10km from coast)Proportion of population living in 1, 5 and 10km buffer zones for Pacific Island Countries and Territories [...]
Country Key Reports
pdfTonga 2016 Youth Thematic Report
PDF | 2.18 MB
pdfDisability in Tonga: analysis of the situation of people with disability based on the 2016 population and housing census
PDF | 769.48 KB
pdfTonga 2016 census of population and housing: volume 1: basic tables and administrative report
PDF | 5.46 MB
Household Income and Expenditure Surveys
pdfTonga 2021 HIES Report
PDF | 6.02 MB
pdfGuidelines for the harmonisation of census and survey microdata
PDF | 6.43 MB
pdfTonga: household income and expenditure (HIES), survey 2015-2016
PDF | 6.71 MB
Demographic and Health Surveys
pdfTonga 2019 MICS Survey Findings Report
PDF | 34.2 MB
Civil Registration and Vital Statistics
pdfThe health sector in civil registration: options and methods to increase registration of live births, stillbirths and deaths: an addendum to the WHO/ UNICEF guidance health sector contributions towards improving the civil registration of births and deaths in low-income countries
PDF | 1 MB | Anon.
pdfCRVS Systems Improvement Framework
PDF | 1.95 MB
pdfCivil registration and vital statistics in Tonga
PDF | 1.56 MB
xlsTonga IMTS Tables
General listing of Tonga, datasets and publications.
Latest statistics and releases from the Statistics Department, including CPI releases, downloads Yearbooks, and more.
The Pacific Environment Portal provides an easy way to find, access and reuse regional and national data.
Documented Censuses and Surveys related to Tonga.
Requests for download of microdata for selected datasets is possible.
Find information about Tonga including National Strategy for Development of Statistics (NSDS).
The Social Protection Indicator for the Pacific: Assessing Progress.
LinkStatistics Act 2015
Statistics Act available via Pacific Islands Legal Information Institute.